Total Votes : 31
Transparency

Share | 

Cow Virus

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pat1487

PostSubject: Cow Virus   Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:56 am

As you may have noticed the background to the site has been made into some sort of dancing cow gif
I have not done this, the site has been hacked, the css template that the site uses to format the pages, as well as display certain images, including the background image, has been replaced by one that uses this cow gif as a background

The gif itself isnt just a picture, it has code inserted into its header that uses an arbitrary code execution exploit that targets windows update in windows as well as software update in mac os
Once the image downloads to your computer a silent command/terminal attribute is passed to windows/software update and it downloads an update from a 3rd party site, this update contains a rootkit which will expose all information on your computer to the 3rd party, it also grants direct access to your computer, allowing the attacker to silently install any program they want onto you computer (like keyloggers or other viruses), or to even see your screen if they wanted to

If you are reading this and can see the cow gif (even if you cant see it, if you look on the very edges of the left and right of the page you might be able to see the grass and blue sky part of the gif) then you are infected, unfortunately i couldnt do anything to prevent this, ive been working on it for the past 2 hours or so and i am unable to change the css template at all, and the template over writes any attempt to put in my own css, or html background
Ive contacted forummotion, the people that host this site, but they have not responded nor do i expect them to respond any time soon (since it is like 5am), however they may do something in the morning (after 9am, although i think they are on the west cost, so after 12pm est), so this may not be a problem by then and you may not even see what im talking about

I tried other ways to stop this, even if i deleted the site, the site would still be visible for up to 3 days before actually being removed permanently so that wouldnt help people that visit in the next couple of days, so i decided against it, i also tried making the site unavailable however that still uses the sites css template so it wouldnt actually do anytihng
And even if i specifically tell the site to not use css, it doesnt seem to matter and uses it anyway

So in short, if you see the cow gif you are infected with a rootkit if you are using windows or mac on a laptop or desktop
If you are using linux you are fine, which is what im using right not since my windows is infected and i cant fix it
Ive tried using TDDSKiller, but it doesnt detect this rootkit, which means that this virus is extremely new, the virus and malware scans that ive been running while working on the site, including hijackthis to see what was going on and they all come back with nothing
The only reason i know any of this is because after i saw this background i wanted to find out what the image was about so i investigated the gif file with a hex editor and was able to see the arbitrary code execution exploit, searching for any of this on google just brings up a cow video from awhile back that this gif is based on, which seems unrelated to this virus

I suggest you stop using the computer you are currently using, or at least disconnect it from the internet until theres a solution to this, or install linux (theres portable versions of it that can run off of usb which is very easy to set up, so you can use that until this is fixed)
Im sure forummotion will do something to fix the site very soon so theres no reason you should stop visiting the site (just visit the site with linux, or on your phone, or on your infected computer if you dont care, for a day or so until i say everything is fixed)

This virus will probably be a wide spread thing, not just limited to this site, since we are just a small site, much larger sites may be affected as well so i wouldnt be surprised if you saw this cow gif rootkit elsewhere (even if you cant see the gif itself on the site), although those larger sites probably have better security then forummotion does, so it might not be that big of a thing
Either way im sure there will be a fix for mac and windows out soon

Last edited by Pat1487 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Serenity09

PostSubject: Re: Cow Virus   Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:52 pm

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Eat_bacon_daily
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Cow Virus   Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:27 pm

Best april fools joke in the known world!
Spam that background with awesome cows, ive spent the last half an hour watching these cows dance. Absolutely worth it
Back to top Go down
Achilles.42
Commander
Commander

PostSubject: Re: Cow Virus   Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:10 pm

This has nothing to do with april...
This video explains exactly what pat is talking about
Cow virus
Back to top Go down
Pat1487

PostSubject: Re: Cow Virus   Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:59 pm

The site has been fixed
Your computer is still infected if you saw the gif though, the video ach posted explains the only way to fix your computer, formatting it wont even work
We just have to wait a few years for the Retro-Proto-Turbo-Encabulator to become available to consumers and we will never need to worry about viruses ever again

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Achilles.42
Commander
Commander

PostSubject: Re: Cow Virus   Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:42 pm

Serenity09 wrote:
...as a 16th century whore
Things really weren't good for woman in the 16th century. Especially for whores, i would imagine
Like, if you're gonna be a whore, at least be a modern one or something.
Back to top Go down
Serenity09

PostSubject: Re: Cow Virus   Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:33 pm

i really enjoy that high me is more clever than sober you
thank you for giving me that
Back to top Go down
Achilles.42
Commander
Commander

PostSubject: Re: Cow Virus   Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:49 pm

Well, since i've never been fooled by one of pats pranks while high, im just gonna assume im not a big enough idiot to let that happen. ever. So thanks for giving me that.

Also, i didn't know i had to be more clever than you with every post I make. Im glad up until now i've been completely outdoing you without trying though. But, I'm really glad i was able to give you that little bit of satisfaction your heart needed by letting my game slip just once.
Back to top Go down
marksoccer
Commander
Commander

PostSubject: Re: Cow Virus   Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:22 am

damit I wish i saw the gif
Back to top Go down
Serenity09

PostSubject: Re: Cow Virus   Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:24 pm

Quote :
Well, since i've never been fooled by one of pats pranks while high, im just gonna assume im not a big enough idiot to let that happen
but neither do you smoke nor do you have a good enough computer to warrant being worried in the least. the context is totally different here. i could go ahead and say that since i've never been fooled to buy a shitty piece of overpriced hardware that is extremely limited in growth as well as software, im just gonna assume im not a big enough idiot to let that happen. but we probably have different computational needs (ex i have to write programs to mimic ai whereas you need to read emails and use the calculator app when that addition problem looks just a tad bit too scary for your taste)

Quote :
Also, i didn't know i had to be more clever than you with every post I make.
not what i said at all; i said:
Quote :
i really enjoy that high me is more clever than sober you
now if we put on our detective caps we might be able to deduce that this might be about a particular post. this next logical "leap" might be a bit ambitious, Champ, but if you were feeling really on your A-game you might conclude it was about my previous post

if you need to take a break to take a whiff from that asthma inhaler ill understand

so let's take a look-see shall we. i said:
Quote :
[i am] stoned as a 16th century whore
you said:
Quote :
Things really weren't good for woman in the 16th century. Especially for whores, i would imagine
Like, if you're gonna be a whore, at least be a modern one or something.
thus doing something truly remarkable. you succeeded in explaining the joke back to me,

side note: although next time you would like to do this, i would prefer you used citations and perhaps submitted it via sparknotes

and then promptly missed the entire point of the joke.
Back to top Go down
Achilles.42
Commander
Commander

PostSubject: Re: Cow Virus   Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:52 pm

Serenity09 wrote:

but neither do you smoke nor do you have a good enough computer to warrant being worried in the least.
Technically now true just because who would bother smoking if they have a vaporizer.
And just because i make fun of amazing for talking about his drug life every-god-damn-time anything happens doesn't give you what you need for any good assumptions.
Spoiler:

Serenity09 wrote:
(ex i have to write programs to mimic ai whereas you need to read emails and use the calculator app when that addition problem looks just a tad bit too scary for your taste)
1) its spelled mail
2) Whats an app?
3) Whats addition?

Serensuckadick wrote:
and then promptly missed the entire point of the joke.
Here's the thing, Tiger, you'll respond to a post as many times as you disapear into the ether (i assume to masturbate to Mariah Carry for weeks on end)
So if you stop masticating with your own dick for half a second you might realize that generally its a toss up whether any effort is needed for a response, or i can just make shit up and not pay attention to whether or not it makes sense.
Now, i appreciate that you let me barrow your inhaler, but i think you need it more.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Achilles.42
Commander
Commander

PostSubject: Re: Cow Virus   Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:42 pm

Hi seren.

I just, wanted
you to

read my previous post and complements again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cow Virus   

Back to top Go down

Cow Virus
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1