Total Votes : 31
Transparency

Share | 

Site Update (4/11/2012)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pat1487

PostSubject: Site Update (4/11/2012)   Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:02 pm

It seems no one wants the site to shut down as everyone (except amaz) voted no over at the poll: http://tmmm.forumclan.com/t1235-site-is-3-years-old-is-this-where-it-ends
If you came to the site on April 1st you may have seen the message that the site was shut down
That topic/poll wasnt made as part of that joke, although as soon as i started writing it i decided that if enough people voted no that i would make the site look like it shut down for april fools
What i was saying is how i really feel and since no one else was using the site i didnt think i would be the only one to feel that way (amaz doesnt count)
But since everyone (amaz doesnt count) says it should stay up, ill just leave it here, even if it doesnt get used

So because its not shutting down i decided to update it a bit (mainly because of venoms post and what someone said about karma)
This will probably be the last update/change ill ever make to the site (including adding more logos to the randomizer), unless it starts getting used again like it was

I put the reputation system back into the site
I reset some of the reputations if they were really low (i didnt reset all of them because the only way to get them back to 0 is to add or subtract the amount the person has by changing the amount that you get from clicking the + or - in a specific section then clicking the + or - in that section to add/subtract the amount)
You need to have a positive reputation in order to change someone else's reputation and at least 50 posts

I added a "Thanks" button to the reputation
Clicking it will give +3 or +5 reputation to the person you thank
Its +5 in the tutorial sections of the forum and +3 everywhere else
You can only thank 1 post per thread
I may change the button for it to look like the other buttons, but i might just leave it like it is so that it sticks out and is noticeable

Also tell me if the chat overlaps the forum area for you
I just noticed that it can at lower resolutions and looking at the site statistics there are people that still use 800c600
Back to top Go down
AmAzIn[G]
Commander
Commander

PostSubject: Re: Site Update (4/11/2012)   Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:12 am

Pat1487 wrote:
So because its not shutting down i decided to update it a bit (mainly because of venoms post and what someone said about karma)

You know exactly who that fucking someone was, I want my credit ffs Thrown under the bus.
Back to top Go down
Pat1487

PostSubject: Re: Site Update (4/11/2012)   Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:51 am

I didnt know who it was when i was posting and i was too lazy to look
Besides, your name was mentioned in the post, thats good enough
Back to top Go down
Pat1487

PostSubject: Re: Site Update (4/11/2012)   Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:01 am

I got bored and did some stuff to the site that you probably noticed by the time you read this
I was initially going to change the design, taking away most of the borders, it looked good on the main page, but while actually reading posts it just didn't work

When i originally made the site i liked the design that we've had this whole time but one thing i didnt like about it was that it didn't have much color

Ive tried this design with different colors several times over the years and nothing worked but this, its the main reason i made the site display a logo at random rather then have the same one all the time, to add a bit of color to the site.
But ive always wished there was a way to have a background, I thought that the way the site was designed it would be impossible to have a background since there was no space to even see it behind the content of the forum

I dont know why i never thought of using transparency before
If the text is too hard to read i can increase the opacity of the site, currently its at 90% which may be too low to read comfortably against the background.

I cant make the background change like i did with the logos, ill look into it, but i really doubt i can.
If you want to make a background you can post it in the logos thread: http://tmmm.forumclan.com/t843-logos
It has to be large, the one here now is 1600x1200 but the size doesnt have to be exact or anything like the logo has to be
The picture itself has to follow the general forum rules and it can't contain text (unless its small and toward the bottom left or right), it also cant be too colorful or flashy or use too many bright colors since it would get hard to read white text against a bright background
The background should be something related to gaming, the one here now is starcraft 2 related

Post here if the site is giving you trouble because of this, or if you think having a background like this is a bad idea

Also, currently this seems to cause a problem with the logo, sometimes it wouldnt load until you scroll down and back up, i dont know what is up with it, maze said it was fine for him so maybe its just me
Back to top Go down
AmAzIn[G]
Commander
Commander

PostSubject: Re: Site Update (4/11/2012)   Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:22 am

i really like the background as is it's really fucking cool lol.

Best update in a while. I might actually make a logo for this cool new update now
Back to top Go down
Pat1487

PostSubject: Re: Site Update (4/11/2012)   Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:47 pm

A background you mean, not a logo

I changed the way the logo works so that it shows an image by default in case the random one doesnt load for whatever reason
The problem is that the transparency causes the change that happens to the img src to only occasionally work while you are looking at the logo, and even if i take all the transparency away from the logo it doesnt care

I cant figure out why it does that, at first i thought it might be because i was using document.write but i got rid of that and it still has the same problem
I can't even replicate it in testing, this is the only place it happens

EDIT: It seems to be working now, i didnt even really do anything to actually change it but w/e
Back to top Go down
AmAzIn[G]
Commander
Commander

PostSubject: Re: Site Update (4/11/2012)   Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:13 am

No i mean logo, i assumed the site was going to die out so i wasnt ever going to design a logo, but because of the update and new style that was implemented i acutally think that people will use the site more because of is attractiveness. So i will design a pretty fucking legit logo. Also i like the current background and i'm not sure it should change, that is unless a really fucking good background comes along, which would be weird because I dont think it could compete with this one. (it's literally like a 10/10 in content and design as a background)

Oh well yeah im drunk k
Back to top Go down
Pat1487

PostSubject: Re: Site Update (4/11/2012)   Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:33 am

Well there would be a vote for the background if someone did submit one, like the vote we had back when we could only have 1 logo
But if no one submits one then this one would stay, i really liked it too

Also i dont think people will start using the site more just because of a background

There are some problems with this though, at least for me, when you click on the colors or any of the buttons that open something to select from when posting it doesnt show up unless you scroll away from it and back to it (or change tabs) which is annoying

I dont think i can fix it either

Also i made another very very minor change, if you notice it post about what it was here, i wonder how noticeable it is
Back to top Go down
AmAzIn[G]
Commander
Commander

PostSubject: Re: Site Update (4/11/2012)   Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:53 am

i'm going to say you fixed the chat box because it follows my screen better.
Normally when I press cmd+ or - the chat box stays the same size, now it changes. good change tho i like it, much more flexible design.
Back to top Go down
Pat1487

PostSubject: Re: Site Update (4/11/2012)   Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:00 pm

That wasn't what i changed

I added some transparency controls under the chat

Default is the amount of transparency that it has been since i added the transparency

None is no transparency which would be like the way it was before i added this stuff, you can use that while making a post to fix any odd behavior

More is more transparent then default
Back to top Go down
BackseatDriver
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Site Update (4/11/2012)   Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:41 pm

The box shapes are a bit more rounded around the edges. I like it. It makes the site look a lot more smooth and modern. I think it matches the background pretty well.
Back to top Go down
Pat1487

PostSubject: Re: Site Update (4/11/2012)   Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:32 pm

Your right backseat
Its rounded by 7 pixels

Last edited by Pat1487 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BackseatDriver
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Site Update (4/11/2012)   Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:59 am

what do i win?
Back to top Go down
Pat1487

PostSubject: Re: Site Update (4/11/2012)   Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:10 pm

I gave you + rep
Back to top Go down
BackseatDriver
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Site Update (4/11/2012)   Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:29 am

I was waiting for a paragraph of my options which include something completely insane. But plus rep is good for me.
Back to top Go down
Pat1487

PostSubject: Re: Site Update (4/11/2012)   Sun May 13, 2012 4:49 pm

Was the site loading weird for anyone else?
The place that hosts the clock is being slow and as such is causing the site to wait for it so i disabled the clock for now
I was wondering if it was only being slow for me or if it was doing it to everyone
Back to top Go down
marksoccer
Commander
Commander

PostSubject: Re: Site Update (4/11/2012)   Sun May 13, 2012 5:07 pm

Yea it might just be me but when I open a bunch on topics, it lags a lot in the beginning.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Site Update (4/11/2012)   

Back to top Go down

Site Update (4/11/2012)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1