The official site of Clan TMMM
 
HomeHomeSearchUsergroupsFAQRegisterLog in


Latest topics
» Gotta click fast - WC3 Mazing #mildlyinteresting
by hoffmann Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:28 pm

» Hey whats up
by Eat_bacon_daily Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:24 am

» I'm getting married and you guys are invited
by Achilles.42 Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:00 am

» Server Photo Album 1
by Pat1487 Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:28 pm

» Legacy of The Void Beta
by Achilles.42 Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:21 am

» Hey guys!!!
by Eat_bacon_daily Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:20 pm

» What everyone been up to
by The_Chosen_Oreo Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:55 am

SC2 Links
SC2 Challenge/Tourney Info

Official SC2 Forums

SC2 Curse

SC2Mapster

Team Liquid

SC2 Replayed

SC2 Strategy
WC3 Links
Clan_TMMM[Host] Info

WC3 Challenge/Tourny Rules

Epicwar
Poll
What game does everyone play now?
Starcraft 2
26%
 26% [ 8 ]
Warcraft 3
35%
 35% [ 11 ]
League of Legends
19%
 19% [ 6 ]
World of Warcraft
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Diablo 2
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
No games at all
10%
 10% [ 3 ]
Other game not listed
10%
 10% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 31
Transparency

Share | 
 

 Site is 3 years old, is this where it ends?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Should this site be shutdown?
Yes
15%
 15% [ 2 ]
No (explain why)
85%
 85% [ 11 ]
I don't care
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13
 

AuthorMessage
Serenity09
Moderator
Moderator
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Site is 3 years old, is this where it ends?   Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:42 pm

why would you shut the site down before sc2 clans come out?
that just seems dumb

also does it cost you money to keep it going? like i completely get that its frustrating to maintain something that nobody uses (see MC or late WC3 clan) but every once in awhile things pick up here randomly and hopefully with sc2 clans and d3 (will it have clans?) less randomly. idk if its the same for you, but those brief spots where the MC server was active made it worth it for me
Back to top Go down
Pat1487
Moderator
Moderator
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Site is 3 years old, is this where it ends?   Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:45 am

Achilles.42 wrote:
the important factor would still be the total dissonance, not the relative dissonance within a single school (or forum). For instance, if one kid has an IQ of 95, and another kid has an iq of 125, that's not a big difference at all, even though it's a huge one at imaginary high school.
The difference is that there is a total when your talking about IQ, but not for forum activity
You cant compare our site to a site like ice the same way you can compare 2 people of differing intelligence, since 1 as an absolute scale while the other doesnt (and cant)
Thats why i used relative dissonance like i did
Also 95 and 125 arent extremes when using non-relative dissonance

Achilles.42 wrote:
The water/oil analogy is forced and doesn't share enough commonality with the situation. What would be more accurate would be to think of you receiving all F's D's and C's for this semester. By your logic, you would have lost your worth (intelligence), however, any reasonable person would just accept that you're having troubles for some other reason that's separate from your worth/intelligence/post count and that your potential as a fundamental intelligent person is still present and giving you reason for us not to sterilize you for the good of humanity.
Grades dont measure intelligence, or worth
Grades dont measure anything, they are progress reports, to help you know you need to improve
The logic i used to construct my water/oil analogy isnt forced and complies with your statement of adding value over time = worth

Achilles.42 wrote:
"Terman's research exploded the
myth that high-IQ individuals were brainy but physically and socially inept. In fact,
Terman found that children with outstanding IQs were larger, stronger, and better
coordinated than other children and became better adjusted and more emotionally
stable adults (Terman & Oden, 1959)" (Slavin, 2007).
I said socially awkward, not socially inept
Theres a difference
And i never said physically inept

Achilles.42 wrote:
Qualities like aggression, and patience, are either weakly correlated or not correlated at all.
Thats why i said "maybe not aggression"
And frustration isnt always the result of not having enough patience, so i didnt say patience either

Achilles.42 wrote:
As for your sarcasm example, once people develop Rapport with each other, it's unlikely such jokes utilizing sarcasm will be that damaging. Also, before rapport is developed it's unlikely people will jump at each others throats just because of a slight offense.
You basically just said sarcasm cant be offensive
Which is just false

Achilles.42 wrote:
Everyone has a desire for their worth to be recognized. Why else would have things like Nobel prizes? You can make more for the case that smart people are actually more driven to show how smart they are then the opposite.
The desire to have ones accomplishments recognized isnt the same thing as the desire to feel smart
The Nobel prize isnt there to make those that earn it feel smart, it does that, sure, but its not the purpose of it, so you cant use that to argue what you say

Achilles.42 wrote:
People are inherently social. Even socially awkward people have a drive to find others they can develop relationships with. One of the only instances of people that are truely not driven by social status/interaction are people with schizoid disorder.
They have the drive, i didnt say they didnt
They just tend not to act on it, or they do other things as a replacement
Which results in them not being social, or being social with those that are much like them

Achilles.42 wrote:
This is reasonable, except you have you have to think of the dynamics of a classroom. What is going to happen if he proves he cant work with the smart kids? as he does in your example. Obviously the teacher isn't going to let this go on (in most instances) and will likely force the student to work alone. Now, even if the child is stupid, he will likely be able to put 2 and 2 together and realize that now instead of being able to keep his head above water he is failing, and asserting dominance over the smart kid gave him nothing. And when he is given another opportunity to work together, it's unlikely he'll employ such self destructive tactics that give him nothing.
Theres too many "what ifs" there
What if the teacher stops it
What if he realizes it
What if the teacher gives him another chance
What if he doesnt squander his second chance

All of those could be different outcomes then the ones you posed here
So its not the best example

Achilles.42 wrote:
You see, ostracizing smart children predominantly occurs in classrooms where everyone is an individual working by them selves and therefore in competition with every other student, and since the dumb kids can never beat the smart kids, they get frustrated and lash out. However, when you make learning a group dynamic, this effect is removed, because now the dumb kid's feel as if the smart kids are their friends, because they help them avoid embarrassment in the classroom, therefore improving self esteem.
I can agree with this theory, it needs a decent teacher to work though
But still, the dumb kid would have to realize this, and by the time he does (if he does), damage will have already been done to the smart kid
If the dumb kid realizes quickly then its no big deal to the smart kid, but if not it could be really hurtful

Achilles.42 wrote:
The source is psych textbook, which means it's utilizing a meta-analysis of a huge amount of unique research to argue for the overall theories. It's common for each sentence to have 1-5 sources after it (yeah, some times the list of names/dates is longer than the sentence it's self). Overall, i'd estimate that it's not flawless, but has a high degree of internal and external validity.
When a book has more then 1 source listed for the same sentence it means that in order for that sentence to have been written, the writer had to take the original sources and interrupt them into something that can be expressed in a single sentence
So having more then 1 source per sentence isnt a good thing, and doesnt contribute to its validity

Achilles.42 wrote:
As for their being too many variables. The theories been applied to aid classrooms in numerous ways, and always comes out improving the learning experience for everyone. It's also been shown to help greatly reduce extreme divisions between racial/ethnic groups. Also, you MIGHT be right that the dissonance cant be too big, but 1, thats not ever been shown so far as i know, and 2, i still think that what i've said concerning the overall dissonance between the two items at stake is sufficient to show that they don't fall into such a category.
Of course the theories will work when applied to real classrooms, real life classes wont have extremes because extremes like im talking about are purposely avoided
Im arguing that the theory wont work when its applied to non-relative extremes

At the beginning you said "the important factor would still be the total dissonance" but here you want to use relative dissonance
Saying "its sufficient" makes an accepted standard and there by creates relative dissonance between extremes


But this education analogy has grown out of proportion and weve spent more time arguing that then the topic
Which is to shut the forum down or not
And so far there hasnt been any solid reasons not to

Serenity09 wrote:
why would you shut the site down before sc2 clans come out?
that just seems dumb
Because by the time sc2 clans come out im not going to have time to run it
And it doesnt seem like anyone else would either considering how the wc3 clan ended up

Serenity09 wrote:
also does it cost you money to keep it going? like i completely get that its frustrating to maintain something that nobody uses (see MC or late WC3 clan) but every once in awhile things pick up here randomly and hopefully with sc2 clans and d3 (will it have clans?) less randomly. idk if its the same for you, but those brief spots where the MC server was active made it worth it for me
It doesnt cost me money to keep this running
I said in 1 of my other posts that i dont think the release of d3/hots will make a difference or reinvigorate the site
It might pick up again in the summer, but i doubt people will post

The time when the site/clan was active was worth it for me
Im just saying that time has passed
And that its time to close it down
Back to top Go down
hlw_rocer
Corporal
Corporal



PostSubject: Re: Site is 3 years old, is this where it ends?   Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:12 pm

Pat1487 wrote:
AmAzIn[G] wrote:
I guess I didn't communicate my point well enough lol. What I had meant in saying that the forum is dead is that the original purpose of the forum was a place for our clan to communicate outside of war3 and other games, and we had both an active community of gamers and posters. Now that most of us are too busy to play games, we simply come to the forum and post as a way of staying in contact with those we used to play games with. In this sense the forum is dead from its function 3 years ago. People do not post the same things they posted 3 years ago and they never will. At least not in the sense of posting about war3, maybe they will post about sc2 in a similar way, but I'm pessimistic in the sense to think that there will be a huge revival in all of us to game down the road or to even post more often.

This probably makes much more sense then my one sentence above. I'll start communicating my ideas more thoroughly in the future.
I can obviously see that you would have had no idea what I had meant with that one sentence, but yet I assumed you would have known what I said in this paragraph in that one sentence without even thinking about it lol.

All in all, It won't affect my daily routine if the forum is taken down and I'd still be able to talk and keep in touch via chat and that is all I really care about.
You never communicate your point well, at all
Until now, which is surprising

But even after we stopped playing people still posted, not as much, but there were still posts every day, it didnt start to get bad until around december
Not counting this thread, there hasnt been any posts in a week
And im not counting this thread because unless posting this thread caused people to not post then without this thread there wouldve been no posts for a week

Achilles.42 wrote:
But more to the point, I don't think there should be a chatybox without the forummachine. They both complement each other nicely. Come for the forums, stay for the chat. So, even if one is performing deficientlly, it's not a reason to get all eugenics on it's ass. It's just like ability groups in school, when you recognize a smart kid outdoing a dumb kid, you don't then kill the dumb kid.
Cliff notes: taking down the forum is the same as murdering retarded children.
Check & Mate.

To be fair, it'd be more accurate to say "child"
but i prefer writing with plurals.
So, fuck that.

No one stays for the chat though, just look at maze talking to hlw on the 28th
Hlw logged off before saying anything to maze, maybe without even seeing him since he didnt stay for the chat
It makes more sense to just come to chat since you would be sure to look to see if people were there before leaving

To relate that to your analogy
It would be like putting a really smart kid and a really dumb kid in the same class
The smart kid would get dragged down by the dumb kid since the dumb kid has no chance of catching up to the smart kid and it would be easier on the professor to just dumb the class down to accommodate for the dumb kid
Rather then dumbing the class down, if i were the professor, i would make the dumb kid withdraw from the class to give the smart kid the best education possible

Spoiler:
 

it's part of my master plan
maze will never know
Back to top Go down
marksoccer
Commander
Commander
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Site is 3 years old, is this where it ends?   Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:26 pm

tl;dr
Back to top Go down
AmAzIn[G]
Commander
Commander
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Site is 3 years old, is this where it ends?   Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:28 am

Read it all, still not giving a fuck.

Might as well keep the forum going.

It's nice to check back here every once in a while even if people aren't active. I believe the debates and other things this forum has created could serve as some sort of influence in the future so no point in deleting something that has some value.
Back to top Go down
Pat1487
Moderator
Moderator
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Site is 3 years old, is this where it ends?   Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:21 pm

My evil twin tried to shut the site down
Hes been dealt with

Hes right about everything he said though
Youd all better start using the forum more
Back to top Go down
olonavy
Corporal
Corporal



PostSubject: Re: Site is 3 years old, is this where it ends?   Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:43 am

I like your evil twin better. WAAAAAAY cooler
Back to top Go down
Eat_bacon_daily
Captain
Captain
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Site is 3 years old, is this where it ends?   Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:10 am

As i said earlyer, we should probably murder pat. He's gone mad
Back to top Go down
Achilles.42
Commander
Commander
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Site is 3 years old, is this where it ends?   Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:52 am

So, this means you see the error of your twins logic and realize the flawlessness of my analogy. Right?
Back to top Go down
mazemasta77
Corporal
Corporal



PostSubject: Re: Site is 3 years old, is this where it ends?   Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:14 am

Pat1487 wrote:
No one stays for the chat though, just look at maze talking to hlw on the 28th
Hlw logged off before saying anything to maze, maybe without even seeing him since he didnt stay for the chat
It makes more sense to just come to chat since you would be sure to look to see if people were there before leaving

Actually Pat, I think you misread that. Slaya, olo, and hlw ignore me a decent amount these days (hlw especially) because they think its funny, which is getting kind of old. There have actually been a couple times, like this one, where I would say something to him and he'll just log off, purposely ignoring me.
Back to top Go down
nomorholywar
Sergeant
Sergeant



PostSubject: Re: Site is 3 years old, is this where it ends?   Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:20 pm

NO, cause nomorholywar is back bitches! ! !11
Back to top Go down
Eat_bacon_daily
Captain
Captain
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Site is 3 years old, is this where it ends?   Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:26 pm

Lol where have u been? And hows Distalk.com?
Back to top Go down
popartica.
Corporal
Corporal



PostSubject: Re: Site is 3 years old, is this where it ends?   Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:35 pm

dont shut it down diablo 3 is coming out soon enough said
Back to top Go down
venom180
Recruit
Recruit
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Site is 3 years old, is this where it ends?   Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:38 pm

I say that this site should not be shut down. i know you guys really dont know me and i dont know if you even like me. but this sight has a lot of info on it that has helped me out a lot and i enjoy looking at the posts. i also think that one day or another people will begin to play games more and this site will be needed. if you shut it down you will need to get a new one when everyone starts to play games again.

also i think we need to start doing some cool stuff on the MC server. just saying.
Back to top Go down
popartica.
Corporal
Corporal



PostSubject: Re: Site is 3 years old, is this where it ends?   Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:40 pm

i like the guy above
Back to top Go down
AmAzIn[G]
Commander
Commander
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Site is 3 years old, is this where it ends?   Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:14 am

I say since we aren't shutting down the site we expand. I'll make t-shirts and we can have a group gathering in Tennessee where we can all go fishing and then afterwords have a cookout and a nice campfire. We'll kick back with some beers and tell stories about the old mazing days and how fucked up we all were as kids (mainly me).
Back to top Go down
Pat1487
Moderator
Moderator
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Site is 3 years old, is this where it ends?   Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:48 am

Go for it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Site is 3 years old, is this where it ends?   

Back to top Go down
 
Site is 3 years old, is this where it ends?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» Newport Games Now Carries Corvus Belli 15mm 100 Years War
» Anyone know a good overseas site to buy cd's from?
» Revamping Site!
» New Gfx Site
» What's gonna be after 100 years ?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Clan TMMM :: General :: General Discussion-
Jump to: