Transparency

Share | 

LoL Impressions: take 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pat1487

PostSubject: LoL Impressions: take 2   Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:10 am

So as many of you know i gave LoL a second chance

DOTA left a bad taste for this type of game in my mouth and i was really reluctant to give LoL any chance at all
Spoiler:

But LoL does alot of things better then DOTA does
Heres the top 5 things that make LoL worth playing where as DOTA is not

1. The item system is vastly improved, you can buy items even when your inventory is full (as long as 1 of the items in your inv makes part of the item you buy)
You dont need to mess with the stash or couriers
Finding items you want is fairly easy (incredibly easy compared to DOTA), theres even recommended items, which arent to be the best, but they give you a sense of what you should have
You can buy the full item with enough money or choose to buy it piece by piece right from a page that tells you the recipe for the item you want

2. Summoner spells and skill trees give you more options, some seem a bit too powerful, like flash (which i havent actually used), but 9 times out of 10 people level 12 or higher will take flash
The mastery skill tree system can make the same heroes a bit different, with some heroes it seems you can have them be very different

3. INT heros dont suck, in DOTA most INT heroes suck after mid game
INT or AP in LoL can buy items to increase ability power to allow their spells to scale up so they can be as good or better as straight attack damage dealers (or AD) through the entire game
Also you can get lifesteal for your spells (called spell vamp) which can further bring AP on par with AD

4. The heroes are more creatively designed
Maybe its just because DOTA is in wc3 and ive seen those spells all the time that they feel boring
Some are unique like pudge's hook, but most are just wc3 spells, sometimes with new graphics or 1 effect from another spell combined to make it appear new
I have looked at less then 1/5th of LoLs hero list and from reading the spells (and seeing some) they just feel more interesting, especially the innate abilities that each hero has which adds different strategies depending on what it is, not all of them, but alot

5. The community is far better
I cant really blame DOTA for the majority of its players being jerks, but thats how it is and it makes playing DOTA with random people annoying
In LoL most of the players feel like normal people that you could actually have a conversation with

But its not all good

At the beginning of the game all your can really do is harass and last hit, if no one gets ganked and no one makes a mistake by getting too far up you could be level 8-10 before the first kill of the game, which is boring to me
Dominion is better in that regard, but has the opposite problem of being too fast paced, some of the heroes need the slower pace of the classic game mode to be effective, even the extra starting gold and faster leveling isnt enough because some spells are deigned to be used during a slow forward/backward advance/retreat, which is why alot of them just dont work in dominion

Runes seem useless to me
The bonus they give isnt enough to make much of a difference
Even spending 14k IP to get all the best runes you can add maybe 100 spell damage, or 13k IP for 200 more hp
Im not saying you should stack up on runes that give you a bonus to the same stat (i actually dont know how runes would be set up, im basing this all on the numbers), im saying that even if you do the amount you get is small for the amount of IP it costs
So if you mix them up youll get even less from them
I feel like they put in runes purely to have something for people to dump IP into, or a reason for people to spend more money to buy IP after buying the hero(s) they wanted

Theres no way to know what hero to spend IP on until its free to play
And theres about 80 of them, so the one you want to try may take awhile
There should be some sort of demo mode where you can play against 1 comp (or alone) for no rewards for winning/losing with any hero you want, just to see the spells and to get an idea of how that hero would play

Overall though its pretty fun, it helps if you find a hero that you like playing
I probably wouldnt want to keep playing it if i didnt play one i liked
Back to top Go down
olonavy
Corporal
Corporal

PostSubject: Re: LoL Impressions: take 2   Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:44 am

I heard having the minimap on the bottom right corner automatically disqualifies a game from being awesome
Back to top Go down
Knight of Gods
Commander
Commander

PostSubject: Re: LoL Impressions: take 2   Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:38 am

with the runes they can actually make a fairly decent difference,

hp for example 200 may not seem like alot unless you realize at the start most champions have 450-700 hp thats a pretty awesome boost

thats really the only example i can think of bc those are basically the only runes i really have that i thought about before buying

the quintessences (the big ones) you can only have 3 but the HP ones give ~50 hp each, they cost 2000ip each so the total is 6k ip and 150 hp

soooooo many times i have survived with less than 150 hp SOOO many times

personally i end up playing different heroes for the majority of my games, i get bored playing the same one over and over

its not unheard of that i'll be playing LoL less on sunday/monday because im bored with that weeks free champions
Back to top Go down
Pat1487

PostSubject: Re: LoL Impressions: take 2   Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:54 am

A drawback to the masteries and summoners skills is that if you play AT with friends who are at level 30, and your a much lower level (below 10, maybe even below 15), you wont really stand a chance since everyone else in that game will all be at least level 25 with flash and masteries near maxed out

olonavy wrote:
I heard having the minimap on the bottom right corner automatically disqualifies a game from being awesome
Yeah, thats why i never said it was awesome

Knight of Gods wrote:
with the runes they can actually make a fairly decent difference
I meant that, for that much IP, 200hp isnt worth it, unless you just have tons of IP and got all the champions you wanted
Thats why i called it an IP dump
Back to top Go down
Kallock
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: LoL Impressions: take 2   Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:25 am

Pat1487 wrote:
A drawback to the masteries and summoners skills is that if you play AT with friends who are at level 30, and your a much lower level (below 10, maybe even below 15), you wont really stand a chance since everyone else in that game will all be at least level 25 with flash and masteries near maxed out
You can still beat them easily without masteries, its the skill-level that matters. Since you AT'd with TWO lvl 30s we went up against lvl 25's, but if you were to AT with one lvl 30 you would get ppl alot closer to your level. If anything they have more experience than you and know the game a little bit more.

Although... i do agree about not having flash causes a disadvantage because flash balances the game if everyone uses it due to all the gap closers and such
Back to top Go down
olonavy
Corporal
Corporal

PostSubject: Re: LoL Impressions: take 2   Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:32 am

200 hp is worth it, just imagine having 30-50% more survailability at level 1 scaling down to maybe 5-10% at level 18. Imaging having 30 AP at level 1, if you are playing Annie, your desintegrate (Q) would do about 20 more damage Your incinerate 22 more damage, combine that with a 3-4 cd on Disintegrate and a 7-8 cd on Incinerate and that is a lot of damage.
Also penetration runes such as armor pen and magic pen are definitely worth it because it sort of multiplies your damage as you build AP and AD. Attack Speed runes really scale well into late game, when they give you like 20-30%, that is 30% more damage.
Back to top Go down
Knight of Gods
Commander
Commander

PostSubject: Re: LoL Impressions: take 2   Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:11 pm

my friends used to only play when they AT'd with me and as consequence we would usually face people higher level than them, i usually would do great and my friends would do ok or sometimes not ok

more recently they solo queued for the first time since we were all like lvl 5 and they found that at their level they were a lot better than people just because they were used to facing lvl 25-30s
Back to top Go down
Eat_bacon_daily
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: LoL Impressions: take 2   Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:59 pm

The main prob with this game is the annoncer, theres nothing more epic than hearing double ki- domin- rampage -ultra kill.

And the mechanics on warcraft allow for more hilarious gameplay.

But other than that LoL is awesome
Back to top Go down

LoL Impressions: take 2
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1